Iterators over really really big tables

From: J B Procter
Subject: Iterators over really really big tables
Date: 15:33 on 07 Jun 2004
Hi. I've been wondering about the best way of doing the following :

my $object = DBI::TableofObjects->retrieve_all;
my $this;
while ($this=$object->next) {
  do_something_on($this);
}

Seems simple, but the problem is that TableOfObjects contains a large
number( 10^8) of records. Is there a way of using Class::DBI::Iterator
in a memory efficient manner - ie to avoid it grabbing all the primary
keys, and then progressively inflating each object ?

cheers (and may I say thank you for all the effort put into the
framework!)

j.

Iterators over really really big tables
J B Procter 15:33 on 07 Jun 2004

Re: Iterators over really really big tables
Tony Bowden 16:19 on 07 Jun 2004