Re: blessing db data as utf8

From: Gaal Yahas
Subject: Re: blessing db data as utf8
Date: 20:28 on 09 Jun 2004
On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 01:23:49PM +0200, Andreas Fromm wrote:
> > The problem is that the database doesn't know better: as far as it is
> > concerned, the data is (say) latin1. This is true at least for mysql 4.0.20
> > which I have been using. This means that the metadata about encoding type
> > of a table or a column can't come from the database, even though ideally
> > it should. I don't know DBIx::ContextualFetch to say, but DBI seems at the
> > moment to be too low-level for this kind of knowledge.
> >
> > That said, *my* data is all utf8, so I don't mind a global switch :)
> >
> What abaut PostgerSQL where you tell the server at database-creation how
> to encode the Data? When I create a db with unicode encoding, it
> _should_ know abaut encoding, doesn't it?

I just wanted to post an update on this issue. Following a tip from
Dominic Mitchell <dom@xxxxxxxxx.xxx>, who did this for Pg, I have
patched DBD::mysql to support utf8 data.

     http://lists.mysql.com/perl/3006

Hopefully, this will hit CPAN soon.

Thanks everybody for the comments, and especially Dominic from whom I
borrowed some code!

        --
        Gaal Yahas <gaal@xxxxxx.xxx>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/