Re: sorry for double post

From: William McKee
Subject: Re: sorry for double post
Date: 14:00 on 24 Jun 2004
On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 09:07:53PM -0500, step2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:
> this does what i want, in the sense that i can do Artist->search_aliases(x) and
> get the other names (or whatever) i want... but i was thinking of Artist as an
> object that represents an artist.  i was hoping to be able to do something more
> like $artist = Artist->retrieve(1) and just have all the aliases automagically
> available to $artist without a separate Artist->search...

Hi Steve,

It's been my experience that if you want things to happen on retrieve,
you should use a trigger. I believe that you could achieve this effect
using temporary columns and triggers. Inside the select trigger, you can
do the search and set the temporary column(s) to the aliases. However,
you may have 0 or more aliases which I'm not sure how you'd handle.
Perhaps someone more clueful than I could offer some input.

Good luck,
William

        --
        Knowmad Services Inc.