Re: Laziness

Subject: Re: Laziness
Date: 01:54 on 14 Jul 2004
[having e-mail problems, reverting to webmail]

At 22:43 2004-07-13, Tony Bowden wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 09:03:46PM +0200, Johan Lindstrom wrote:
> > It appears from my DBI profiling and reading the docs that the default
> > laziness setting is "lazy". So if I do:
> > __PACKAGE__->columns(All => ... );
> > all columns are lazy. Is this correct? (Do they end up in Others?)
>
> Depends what you mean by "lazy". This way a fetch of one column should
> fetch all columns. Is that what you want / expect / see?

I'm sorry if I was unclear. I was expecting all columns to be fetched
since I thought they would all be in the "All" group (since I set it
explicitly). But the DBI profile report displayed selects with individual
columns, as well as selects with all columns.

For this table, I'd like to always select all columns.

The surprise is that my next attempt didn't work out. From:
http://search.cpan.org/~tmtm/Class-DBI-0.96/lib/Class/DBI.pm#LAZY_POPULATION
"'Essential' are the minimal set of columns needed to load and use the
object. Only the columns in this group will be loaded when an object is
retrieve()'d. "

But my attempt with Primary + Essential (all other columns in this group)
didn't make any difference. I still get selects with both individual
columns and all columns. If this seems wrong, I'll start looking further
into it. If not, what do I need to change?

/J

Laziness
Johan Lindstrom 19:03 on 12 Jul 2004

Re: Laziness