Proposal: Class::DBI::FlexLoader

From: Sebastian Willert
Subject: Proposal: Class::DBI::FlexLoader
Date: 14:53 on 16 Jul 2004
Hi all,

I've been playing with Class::DBI::Loader for the last few weeks and
noticed quite a lot of deficiencies, at least for the thinks I needed to
do. I've posted about an extension of mine a few days back and a few
people welcomed my patch, while neither me nor the others got any
response from the author.

During the last days of my work it turned out that I needed heavier
changes that would in my opinion corrupt the spirit of
Class::DBI::Loader, so I hesitate do incorporate them as patches.

I'd rather fork Class::DBI::Loader and build a new set of modules that
I'd like to call Class::DBI::FlexLoader, extended as outlined below.

Features I want to have within Class::DBI::FlexLoader:
  - Can operate either on a newly constructed db connection
    (as the original does) or use an existing one
  - Possibility to limit processed tables with include/exclude
    options (either as array or regex)
  - Class::Data::Inheritable support for generated classes
  - Custom super class(-es) for generated classes

I am half-ways there functionality wise, as I need all that stuff for my
current project and I'd like to ask you for advice on releasing this
stuff.

- Is there enough need for such an extension to Class::DBI::Loader to
  justify the effort of packaging, testing and documenting?
- Is it impolite to publish this module without the consent of the
  original author (given the fact that he didn't get back to anyone
  for two weeks)?
- Should I try to get some of the extensions into Class::DBI::Loader
  instead and avoid polluting the CPAN name-space?
- Is Class::DBI::FlexLoader a wise choice for a name or do you
  have any other suggestions?
- And, last but not least, are there any documents outlining the
  process of becoming a module maintainer?

Regards,
  Sebastian

Proposal: Class::DBI::FlexLoader
Sebastian Willert 14:53 on 16 Jul 2004