Inflate/deflate to formatted text

From: William McKee
Subject: Inflate/deflate to formatted text
Date: 19:46 on 14 Sep 2004
Hi list,

I have a field in my database which I would like to present in a
formatted string when retrieved. It's not a date so the sample
inflate/deflate code does not work. I have tried using an empty class
when setting up the has_a relationship but CDBI complains. There is
really no appropriate base class; I just need to do a sprintf on a value
to get a better format. Is there a way to handle this without using a
base class?

Perhaps I'm holding the wrong end of the stick and should be working on
this problem from the perspective of the view (if my database is the
model). Input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
William

        --