is_a on a primark key?

From: Caroline Johnston
Subject: is_a on a primark key?
Date: 17:01 on 03 Oct 2004
Hi,

I have a postgres DB (can't change the design, not mine) which represents
is_a relationships by making the primary key column of the child table a
foreign key to the parent table. So parent and child columns have
identical primary keys (both called 'id'). Is it possible to use the IsA
relationship in this situation?

The C::DBI docs warn about bad things happening if you try to set up has_a
relationships on a primary key - same thing for is_a? I'm getting wierd
errors if I try it. Any suggestions on how to do this? working examples?

Thanks for any help,

Cass

is_a on a primark key?
Caroline Johnston 17:01 on 03 Oct 2004