Why are my col names lowercased?

From: Sean Quinlan
Subject: Why are my col names lowercased?
Date: 18:56 on 13 Oct 2004
--=-DWdU3lLmzO1Eo5cDAZB1

The column names in my database contain capitol letters, generally the
first letter. No, there is nothing requiring that - I just think they
look better.

In an application I'm working on, I'm copying all the values for a
particular objects attributes into an aggregate data structure, which
will be used elsewhere to populate a form. Everything seemed to be
working fine - but for some reason none of the values appeared in the
form. Eventually I dumped the data structure, and discovered lower cased
keys for the column names which had the expected values.

WTF!?!?!

My only guess is that for some reason someone thought it was desirable
to have capitalization typos in accessing data be ignored, or something
equivalent? Personally, I'd rather have my typo's cause warnings or
errors. Whatever. Even so, WHY would you want to return lower cased
versions of my column names?!? I expect to get back column names in
_exactly_ the same format I defined my class with. Now I have hundreds
of lines of code using data structures, forms, etc that use the column
names as defined.

I really don't want to have to hand code the column names inside the
app. Is there any way to get the column names back from the object as
is?!?

Sorry for ranting, but this cost me some time, for something that seems
to me very  unintuitive and annoying.

Thanks!!!
--=20
Sean Quinlan <seanq@xxxxxx.xx.xxx>