Re: Class::DBI Beginner's Guide question on Many to many entity relationship diagram

From: Jay Strauss
Subject: Re: Class::DBI Beginner's Guide question on Many to many entity relationship diagram
Date: 02:47 on 22 Oct 2004
Terrence Brannon wrote:
> I was taking a look at a Class::DBI tutorial:
>

> http://class-dbi.com/cgi-bin/wiki/index.cgi?BeginnersGuide
>

> and I don’t understand one part of this diagram. Supposedly there is a
> many to many relationship between artists and groups: an artist can have
> many groups and a group can have many artists. But if this is the case,
> then
>

> 1/ why are the crow’s feet not drawn from artistgroup to band?

The idea (although it never caught on) was that and artist is either a
solo person or band.  So the artist table is a supertype, and the band
and person were sub-types.  Artistgroup is a table used for building
hierarchies, so that you could do:

ArtistGroup
bandartistid, personid
----------------------
5,1
5,2
5,3
5,4

artist
artistid, name
1,John Lennon
2,Paul McCartney
3,George Harrison
4,Ringo Starr
5,The Beatles

> 2/ why is a 1-to-1 relationship between artist and band shown?

Jay

Re: Class::DBI Beginner's Guide question on Many to many entity relationship diagram
Jay Strauss 02:47 on 22 Oct 2004