Re: Cross between MightHave and HasMany?

From: Peter Speltz
Subject: Re: Cross between MightHave and HasMany?
Date: 14:36 on 05 Nov 2004
--- William McKee <william@xxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 02:06:45PM -0800, Peter Speltz wrote:
> > But if you want , Have you tried making a Temp column of person category? I
> > haven't tried Temp but from reading the docs, i hope to be able to say:
> >
> > Person->columns( Temp => [ "category"]);
> > Person->has_a(category => "PersonCategory");
> >
> > .... then  have everything work just like if the category column was in the
> > person table.  It should be able to update the PersonCategory object.
>
> Wouldn't using might_have provide the same results with less code?
>
> e.g.
>
>   Person->might_have(category => "PersonCategory" => qw/cat_id/);
>
> This brings up the question of whether CDBI makes category into a Temp
> column. Tony?
>

> > .... then  have everything work just like if the category column was in the
> > person table.  It should be able to update the PersonCategory object.
> >
> > prsn_obj->category->cat_id($cgi_val);
> > prsn_obj->update; # or maybe prsn_obj->category->update;
>
> I would think that the prsn_obj->category->update would be the correct
> call. Personally, I wouldn't use this setup with a M2M relation. To get
> a category name, you'd need to use something like:

Its not really a M2M relationship but a One 2 One or 0. He just can't store the
category id in the Person table.

>   prsn_obj->category->category;
>
> Or stringify Category to the category column (which potentially
> introduces other weirdness).
>

> William
>
> --
> Knowmad Services Inc.
> http://www.knowmad.com

=====
pjs

http://mail.yahoo.com

(message missing)

Cross between MightHave and HasMany?
Jess Robinson 19:47 on 02 Nov 2004

Re: Cross between MightHave and HasMany?
Kingsley Kerce 20:08 on 02 Nov 2004

Re: Cross between MightHave and HasMany?
Jess Robinson 21:20 on 02 Nov 2004

Re: Cross between MightHave and HasMany?
Kingsley Kerce 21:35 on 02 Nov 2004

Re: Cross between MightHave and HasMany?
Jess Robinson 22:09 on 02 Nov 2004

Re: Cross between MightHave and HasMany?
Tony Bowden 23:43 on 02 Nov 2004

Re: Cross between MightHave and HasMany?
Peter Speltz 22:06 on 02 Nov 2004

Re: Cross between MightHave and HasMany?
Kingsley Kerce 22:39 on 02 Nov 2004

Re: Cross between MightHave and HasMany?
Jess Robinson 06:35 on 03 Nov 2004

Re: Cross between MightHave and HasMany?
William McKee 14:21 on 05 Nov 2004

Re: Cross between MightHave and HasMany?
Peter Speltz 14:36 on 05 Nov 2004

Re: Cross between MightHave and HasMany?
Jess Robinson 20:06 on 05 Nov 2004

Re: Cross between MightHave and HasMany?
William McKee 03:34 on 06 Nov 2004