Re: Problem writing strings to database

From: cdbi
Subject: Re: Problem writing strings to database
Date: 02:47 on 23 Dec 2004
Tony,

I appreciate the help and perhaps we are on the right track.  But
considering that column_type() is undocumented (and appears to be
deprecated) could you tell me how to call it?

Thanks,

-Dave

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:10:28 +0000, "Tony Bowden"
<tony-cdbitalk@xxxxx.xxx> said:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 01:18:14PM -0800, cdbi@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:
> > I can consistantly reproduce the problem by removing all data from my
> > table.  My code then starts inserting data to the table, and the first
> > value is '0', the second is 'NOW_PLAYING' and then I get the error.  Its
> > as if Class::DBI sees that value is 0 the first time around, and assumes
> > it will always be a number.  (The column is varchar).  So can I somehow
> > force Class::DBI to treat my values as strings all the time?
>
> That's a DBI issue, rather than a Class::DBI one.
>
> AFAIK the only reliable way to get around that is to tell DBI that's
> going to be a VARCHAR column, which you can do using the undocumented
> column_type() method.
>
> Tony

Re: Prooblem writing empty strings to mySQL db
Adam Przygienda 09:09 on 22 Dec 2004

Problem writing strings to database
cdbi 21:18 on 22 Dec 2004

Re: Problem writing strings to database
Tony Bowden 01:10 on 23 Dec 2004

Re: Problem writing strings to database
cdbi 02:47 on 23 Dec 2004

Re: Problem writing strings to database
Tony Bowden 09:03 on 23 Dec 2004

Re: Problem writing strings to database
Tim Bunce 15:24 on 23 Dec 2004

Generated at 12:15 on 16 Jan 2005 by mariachi v0.52