Re: How to use DB functions while doing a create?

From: Cees Hek
Subject: Re: How to use DB functions while doing a create?
Date: 14:12 on 11 Jan 2005
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:14:59 +0100, <Daniel.Brunkhorst@xxxxxxxx.xx> wrote:
> MySQL provides a function called "password" to store passwords encrypted
> in the DB. I was wondering how I could use that while using Class::DBI
> and its create method.

I'm guessing you probably haven't heard an answer that you like yet,
and I don't have one for you either.  MySQL specifically states in the
documentation that you shouldn't use the PASSWORD() function yourself.

>>>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Encryption_functions.html
Note: The PASSWORD() function is used by the authentication system in
MySQL Server, you should not use it in your own applications
<<<

Of course MySQL also provides methods for doing MD5 and SHA1 hashes,
of course that still leaves you with the same problem.  But at least
you can also do MD5 and SHA1 hashes in your code as well as your
database, which gives you more flexibility, and a potential solution
to your problem.

Cheers,

Cees

Re: How to use DB functions while doing a create?
Cees Hek 14:12 on 11 Jan 2005

Generated at 12:15 on 16 Jan 2005 by mariachi v0.52