Re: mod_perl/Apache::DBI

From: Perrin Harkins
Subject: Re: mod_perl/Apache::DBI
Date: 23:25 on 06 Apr 2005
On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 19:10 -0400, Vince Veselosky wrote:
> It would not surprise me if it were in fact Ima::DBI,
> because after implementing it and watching the SQL logs I thought there
> were a lot more pings than I expected from Apache::DBI.

Ima::DBI pings it every time Class::DBI asks for a database handle in
any method.  It can be quite a bit.

> Hmm. I'm running Debian Sarge, so whatever they provide as .deb is what
> I have. I can promise you there was no ping in DBD/mysql.pm before I
> implemented it. My version (of DBD::mysql) claims to be 2.9003.

It's there.  Much older versions have it too.  If it wasn't there,
Class::DBI would have simply refused to run at all.  You would be seeing
errors about a missing ping method that Ima::DBI is trying to call.

> I do see that the changelog mentions ping in 1998. Perhaps it
> was removed some time after that and not mentioned in the changelog?

I doubt it.  It may be that it's not doing a very good check though.
Hard to guess what the problem was without knowing exactly what your
error messages were.

> That note in the Apache::DBI doc is in the current version, BTW,
> although it does not mention MySQL explicitly.

Right, that was changed because DBD::mysql got a ping method.  I'm
thinking the version of Apache::DBI you have there is several years old.

You might want to look into using the built-in ping just because it gets
called often and it would be more efficient than the one you've added.
It's implemented at the C level.

- Perrin

(message missing)

mod_perl/Apache::DBI
e-just 16:07 on 06 Apr 2005

Re: mod_perl/Apache::DBI
Perrin Harkins 18:41 on 06 Apr 2005

Re: mod_perl/Apache::DBI
Vince Veselosky 22:35 on 06 Apr 2005

Re: mod_perl/Apache::DBI
Andy Grundman 22:49 on 06 Apr 2005

Re: mod_perl/Apache::DBI
Perrin Harkins 22:53 on 06 Apr 2005

Re: mod_perl/Apache::DBI
Vince Veselosky 23:10 on 06 Apr 2005

Re: mod_perl/Apache::DBI
Perrin Harkins 23:25 on 06 Apr 2005

Re: mod_perl/Apache::DBI
Vincent E. Veselosky 01:05 on 07 Apr 2005

Re: mod_perl/Apache::DBI
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ask_Bj=F8rn_Hansen?= 02:12 on 07 Apr 2005

Generated at 14:42 on 11 Apr 2005 by mariachi v0.52