Casting around for ideas...

From: Nic Gibson
Subject: Casting around for ideas...
Date: 00:08 on 22 May 2005
We've put together a fair amount of code using Class::DBI that
represent fairly generic activities that we use in multiple
applications/databases (things like an AuditTrail package for
example).

In 90% of the cases, this simply means the same class with a different
database connection. Sometimes, we add a column or two. I'd really like
to be able to do some reuse here.

If I create package Foo and inherit Bar from it, I get errors that
look like they are caused by the __grouper class method
(Class::DBI::ColumnGrouper) not inheriting from my base
("'xxxx' is not  column of Blah at test.pl line 3" or similar).

If I reuse the same package in different locations, I still have a
problem of how to associate the package with a particular database since
I would 'normally' use a base package to define the data source.

Has anyone tried to do what I'm describing and how did you go about
it if you did? I'm hoping that I've missed something obvious here.

TIA

nic

(message missing)

Casting around for ideas...
Nic Gibson 00:08 on 22 May 2005

Re: Casting around for ideas...
Jay Strauss 14:30 on 22 May 2005

Re: Casting around for ideas...
Nic Gibson 18:40 on 22 May 2005

Re: Casting around for ideas...
Matt S Trout 19:02 on 22 May 2005

Re: Casting around for ideas...
Nic Gibson 09:16 on 23 May 2005

Re: Casting around for ideas...
Tony Bowden 09:24 on 23 May 2005

Re: Casting around for ideas...
Matt S Trout 17:04 on 23 May 2005

Re: Casting around for ideas...
Nic Gibson 09:29 on 23 May 2005

Generated at 15:51 on 25 May 2005 by mariachi v0.52