[CDBI] CDBI, Oracle, and mod_perl

From: Simon Miner
Subject: [CDBI] CDBI, Oracle, and mod_perl
Date: 05:32 on 14 Aug 2005

--===============1515700989==

------_=_NextPart_001_01C5A091.966724B5

Hi,

(Note: I originally posted this message to the groups.kasei.com version =
of this list. Then I saw the note on the wiki that the mailing list had =
been moved. I apologize if sending this message results in a duplicate =
post.)

My organization uses mod_perl and Oracle to run our high traffic =
e-commerce web site.  Our site currently using DBI (via Apache::DBI) to =
interact with its database.  We would like to bring Class::DBI into the =
mix, but we are concerned about the two-connections-per-process problem =
mentioned in the ReUseLegacyDBIHandle page on the Class::DBI wiki =
(http://wiki.class-dbi.com/index.cgi?ReUseLegacyDBIHandle).

Perrin Harkins' wiki page on overriding the do_Main() method to =
accommodate mod_perl =
(http://wiki.class-dbi.com/index.cgi?UsingWithModPerl) seems to provide =
a potential solution, but it also appears to contradict the assertion on =
the ReUseLegacyDBIHandle page that you cannot use a normal DBI handle =
for a Class::DBI handle.  There appeared to be some back and forth on =
this in a previous thread on this list =
(http://groups.kasei.com/mail/arc/cdbi-talk/2005-02/msg00218.html), but  =
I couldn't see any resolution coming out of it.

Has there been any further development on this matter?  I would like to =
recommend Class::DBI for our e-commerce web site, but we just could not =
abide doubling our Oracle connections.  As has been mentioned, they are =
just too resource intensive.  Is it possible to (safely) set up a =
database connection for a Class::DBI object using a DBI handle?

Thanks.

Simon Miner
Applications Engineer
Christianbook.com
sminer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx

------_=_NextPart_001_01C5A091.966724B5

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
6.5.6944.0">
<TITLE>CDBI, Oracle, and mod_perl</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi,<BR>
<BR>
(Note: I originally posted this message to the groups.kasei.com version =
of this list. Then I saw the note on the wiki that the mailing list had =
been moved. I apologize if sending this message results in a duplicate =
post.)<BR>
<BR>
My organization uses mod_perl and Oracle to run our high traffic =
e-commerce web site.&nbsp; Our site currently using DBI (via =
Apache::DBI) to interact with its database.&nbsp; We would like to bring =
Class::DBI into the mix, but we are concerned about the =
two-connections-per-process problem mentioned in the =
ReUseLegacyDBIHandle page on the Class::DBI wiki (<A =
HREF=3D"http://wiki.class-dbi.com/index.cgi?ReUseLegacyDBIHandle">http://=
wiki.class-dbi.com/index.cgi?ReUseLegacyDBIHandle</A>).<BR>
<BR>
Perrin Harkins' wiki page on overriding the do_Main() method to =
accommodate mod_perl (<A =
HREF=3D"http://wiki.class-dbi.com/index.cgi?UsingWithModPerl">http://wiki=
.class-dbi.com/index.cgi?UsingWithModPerl</A>) seems to provide a =
potential solution, but it also appears to contradict the assertion on =
the ReUseLegacyDBIHandle page that you cannot use a normal DBI handle =
for a Class::DBI handle.&nbsp; There appeared to be some back and forth =
on this in a previous thread on this list (<A =
HREF=3D"http://groups.kasei.com/mail/arc/cdbi-talk/2005-02/msg00218.html"=
>http://groups.kasei.com/mail/arc/cdbi-talk/2005-02/msg00218.html</A>;), =
but&nbsp; I couldn't see any resolution coming out of it.<BR>
<BR>
Has there been any further development on this matter?&nbsp; I would =
like to recommend Class::DBI for our e-commerce web site, but we just =
could not abide doubling our Oracle connections.&nbsp; As has been =
mentioned, they are just too resource intensive.&nbsp; Is it possible to =
(safely) set up a database connection for a Class::DBI object using a =
DBI handle?<BR>
<BR>
Thanks.<BR>
<BR>
-----------------------------------------------<BR>
Simon Miner<BR>
Applications Engineer<BR>
Christianbook.com<BR>
sminer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx<BR>
-----------------------------------------------<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C5A091.966724B5--

[CDBI] CDBI, Oracle, and mod_perl
Simon Miner 05:32 on 14 Aug 2005

Re: [CDBI] CDBI, Oracle, and mod_perl
William Ross 13:39 on 14 Aug 2005

[CDBI] Re: CDBI, Oracle, and mod_perl
Edward J. Sabol 17:46 on 14 Aug 2005

RE: [CDBI] CDBI, Oracle, and mod_perl
Simon Miner 15:04 on 15 Aug 2005

Generated at 13:17 on 19 Aug 2005 by mariachi v0.52