Re [CDBI] session handling in cdbi

From: Rolf Schaufelberger
Subject: Re [CDBI] session handling in cdbi
Date: 18:31 on 04 Oct 2005
>Hi!

>I am trying to figure out a smart way of handling permissions in
>Class::DBI. The idea is having a kind of session object and pass that
>around. It is simple of you're only one user using the base class, but
>is really hard if you want to pass around different session
>objects. Has anybody here done that kind of thing? I have been
>searching through the archives and the Wiki but found noting.

>Thanks,
>Patrik

I'm usig a postres DB with several schemas in it and different connections.
Each connection has different rights and "sees" different schemas.
This works under Apache/mod_perl/Mason and with scripts started from shell.

The main step is described in the WIKI with something like "running CDBI under
mod_perl..", it means you must have an own db_main method in your base class.
The next step I did is to feed this base class with a hash containing the
different connection parameters.

So my base cdbi class looks like:

my $db_options = {
    RaiseError         => 1,
    AutoCommit         => 0,
    FetchHashKeyName   => 'NAME_lc',
    ShowErrorStatement => 1,
    ChopBlanks         => 1,
    RootClass          => 'DBIx::ContextualFetch',
    pg_server_prepare => 0
};

# Default connection parametes
my $app = {   DbDSN  => 'dbi:Pg:dbname=baz',
              DbUser => 'foo',
              DbPass => 'bar',
              DbSearchPath => '', # I need this for Postgres schemas
          };

sub app {
  my $class= shift;
  $app = shift;
}

sub db_Main {
  my $self=shift;
  my $dbh;

  if ( $ENV{'MOD_PERL'} and !$Apache::ServerStarting ) {
    $dbh = Apache->request()->pnotes('dbh');
  }
  if ( !$dbh ) {
    # $app is my config hash
     $dbh = DBI->connect_cached ( $app->{DbDSN},
                                 $app->{DbUser},
                                 $app->{DbPass},
                                 $db_options );

    if ( $ENV{'MOD_PERL'} and !$Apache::ServerStarting ) {
      Apache->request()->pnotes( 'dbh', $dbh );

And I call it either from my mod_perl/Mason handler or from my standalone
script
LJ::CDBI->app( $app );

I've moved this into a general Application-Config-setup subroutine,
which itself takes the parameters from a parameter class.
So all my standalone script start with

use MyApp::Param;
use MyApp;
my $conf = MyApp::Param;
Myapp->init($conf)

and from init I call LJ::CDBI->app($config->app);
and the only thing I chane is using different Param classes
like MyApp::SpecialApp::Param  etc.

and within Mason I do this at the beginning of each request in a custom
mod_perl handler (which is subclassed from MasonX::WebApp).
Doesn't look very beautiful , but getting all initalized at the right time
wasn't so easy since ( my Apache Session and my Locale Maketext all use CDBI
and they 'use' CDBI very "early" )

Hope that helps

Rolf Schaufelberger
rs@xxxxx.xx

Re [CDBI] session handling in cdbi
Rolf Schaufelberger 18:31 on 04 Oct 2005

Re: Re [CDBI] session handling in cdbi
Matt S Trout 18:57 on 04 Oct 2005

Generated at 10:29 on 10 Oct 2005 by mariachi v0.52