Re: [CDBI] Updating a record - slight change proposal

From: William Ross
Subject: Re: [CDBI] Updating a record - slight change proposal
Date: 21:27 on 05 Oct 2005
On 5 Oct 2005, at 17:04, Matt S Trout wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 04:14:24PM +0100, William Ross wrote:
>>
>> On 7 Sep 2005, at 10:33, William Ross wrote:
>>

>> <snip>
>> Hah! How fitting that two weeks after sending such a priggish
>> response to your question, I should be severely bitten by the same
>> bug. As a result I now think it's a Very Bad Thing and should be
>> Fixed :)
>>
>> I still don't think the answer is to change the logic for is_changed,
>> but update() should definitely remove primary keys from its set of
>> changed columns before it discards the new values.
>>
>> create() does exactly that, I now see. So I don't think it'll be that
>> controversial a change.
>>

> Bar MySQL stupidites, why do we need this at all? I mean, if your
> database
> isn't able to store the values you've given it without messing with
> them
> I would have thought it would throw an error on UPDATE?

In the general case the order of events goes something like this:

* call before_update triggers
* gather changed columns & values
* build and execute update
* call after_update triggers
* delete all changed columns (using previously gathered list)
* delete changed-column markers from $self->{__Changed}
* return 1

and as i understand it we are deleting changed columns in case
after_update triggers or database functions change the values they
contain. I suppose this is a good thing, though it's not something
I've ever needed. The problem is that primary keys are not excluded
from the list of fields that we discard, and a cdbi object missing
some or all of its primary keys is no use to anyone.

> The only situation I can see where we need to ask the DB for the
> column is in
> the case of auto-inc PKs - I'm sure I'm missing an obvious problem
> here but
> I thought I'd ask the floor (and I'm wondering whether this
> behaviour should
> be core or optional, at least for DBIx::Class).

I think it's bug, not feature, and I'll suggest grepping out the
primary key columns before discarding the changes.

I suppose you could argue that an object has no business appearing to
change its primary keys and something is clearly wrong with the
untainting of input in my useless rambling pile of an application,
but I prefer the 'bug' explanation.

will

Re: [CDBI] Updating a record - slight change proposal
William Ross 21:27 on 05 Oct 2005

RE: [CDBI] Updating a record - slight change proposal
Hartmaier Alexander 13:41 on 07 Sep 2005

Generated at 10:29 on 10 Oct 2005 by mariachi v0.52