Re: [CDBI] using closures for inflate and deflate

From: William Ross
Subject: Re: [CDBI] using closures for inflate and deflate
Date: 21:36 on 02 Nov 2005
On 2 Nov 2005, at 19:46, Brian Phillips wrote:

> I recently discovered when I upgraded Class::DBI from v3.0.1 to
> v3.0.11 that some of my inflate/deflate methods no longer work.  It
> appears that beginning in version 3.0.9, the _extend_meta method in
> Class/DBI.pm uses Storable to do a dclone on the meta info.  I'm
> not sure of the reasoning behind this apart from what's in the
> Changes file:
> Fixed bug with shared meta_info (Will Ross)

In versions up to 3.0.8 there was a failure to dereference the
meta_info hash properly in cases where we were inheriting
relationships from a base (or other super-) class. Rather than fix
this particular case, Tony preferred to use dclone and avoid all such
problems.

http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bug.html?id=14878

> Up to now, I've used the inflate/deflate functionality occasionaly
> as a closure.  For example (very contrived):
>
> my $secret = "password";
> __PACKAGE__->has_a(my_password_col => "My::Blowfish",
>     inflate => sub { My::Blowfish->new(shift,$secret) },
>     deflate => "encrypt"
> );
>
> This kind of functionality stopped working because once that
> anonymous sub (closure) was run through Storable::dclone, it no
> longer had access to the $secret variable.
>
> I realize there's a million ways to do the above differently but it
> becomes more challenging when I want to auto-generate a bunch of
> 'has_a' columns.  It was very nice to be able to create those
> anonymous subs on the fly without having to do a string evaluation
> or specify every variable explicitly within the sub itself.

Lost here. I assume you're not defining has_a relationships during
inflation, so you mean that you want to use the same inflation and
deflation methods for all the relationships? Which should just work:
coderefs and method names can be supplied as before. Unless the
inflation subs are all closures that need to know $something. Lost
and now also scared.

> Is this just Bad Practice(R) to do this kind of thing?  Is there
> any hope that dclone will be dropped from that _extend_meta method?

I doubt it. He seems to be ideologically committed to the Most
General solution. But then Tony does love his closures, so it's worth
taking up.

> Should I just create my own select and after_set_$column triggers
> rather than using has_a for non-"table relationship" relationships?

No! bad triggers, bad. better to supply your own _extend_meta method.
imho.

... and I'd be very interested to see a fuller example of the thing
you used to do and now cannot.

best

will

[CDBI] using closures for inflate and deflate
Brian Phillips 19:46 on 02 Nov 2005

Re: [CDBI] using closures for inflate and deflate
William Ross 21:36 on 02 Nov 2005

Re: [CDBI] using closures for inflate and deflate
Brian Phillips 14:42 on 03 Nov 2005

Generated at 20:55 on 09 Nov 2005 by mariachi v0.52