Re: [CDBI] [Repost] Set utf8 character set on class connection?

From: Dan Rowles
Subject: Re: [CDBI] [Repost] Set utf8 character set on class connection?
Date: 10:09 on 09 Jan 2006
To call arbitrary SQL on your connection, you should do something like:-

__PACKAGE__->db_Main->prepare("blah");

Dan

Birgit Kellner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> in November I posted a query to this list concerning utf8 problems with
> Class::DBI. Brian Philips was so nice as to help me on- and off-list,
> but we couldn't resolve the problem and I then had to devote my time to
> other issues, and let the matter rest for a while.
>
> So here I go again:
>
> The database uses utf8 encoding in MySQL 4.1.
> With DBI, for some reason I have to execute "set names utf8" after
> setting up the database connection.
> I have set all MySQL character variables to "utf8", but DBI doesn't seem
> to read them.
>
> Rewriting the script for Class::DBI, I've now defined this class
> connection:
> ILKB::DBI->connection("dbi:mysql:ilkb_test",'$usr','$pwd');
>
> But how do I set the character set on this connection?
> I was thinking of using "set_sql", but don't know the correct syntax.
>
> Following Brian's advice, I tried several approaches that required
> modifying my.cnf and trying to get Class::DBI to read its parameters
> from there, but none of them worked. From the command-line, all database
> character variables are set to "utf8". Php scripts that run with the
> same MySQL installation have no problems with utf8 either. Hence I
> presume that it's to do with Perl, and with DBI, or Class::DBI in
> particular.
>
> I sincerely hope that someone can help me, for otherwise I might have to
> drop Class::DBI (very reluctantly, as I really like it) and sadly revert
> to my hand-stitched relation-handling ...
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Birgit Kellner

        Dan Rowles
Outcome Technologies

_________________________________

t: +44 (0)207 656 2460
f: +44 (0)709 230 6588
m: +44 (0)798 076 8143
e: d.rowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
w: http://www.outcometechnologies.com
BUPA House
15-19 Bloomsbury Way
London WC1A 2BA

Re: [CDBI] [Repost] Set utf8 character set on class connection?
Dan Rowles 10:09 on 09 Jan 2006

Generated at 01:21 on 10 Jan 2006 by mariachi v0.52