Re: [CDBI] Re: Can CDBI do this?

From: Matt S Trout
Subject: Re: [CDBI] Re: Can CDBI do this?
Date: 22:14 on 19 Jan 2006
On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 04:45:54PM -0500, Edward J. Sabol wrote:
> Ben Lavender asked about the following:
>
> Bill Moseley replied:
> >> Look at CDBI::Sweet;
>
> Will Hawes replied:
> > Or better still, switch to DBIx::Class.
>
> Frankly, you don't need to do either one. Yes, CDBI can do this. Read the
> CDBI docs on the set_sql method:

This is, admittedly, true. You don't *need* to do either one. But your life
will be far easier if you do, unless you like writing an extra SQL query
every single time you need to change the arguments. And embedding SQL queries
willy-nilly in your object class, so you've now got two languages to worry
about instead of one.

I spent a long time doing set_sqls. Eventually I gave up and wrote the Sweet
join support instead, and my maintainability shot up. YMMV, but that's my
experience - and the reason why when I hit the ceiling of what CDBI could
cope with via subclassing, I started DBIx::Class to replace it (for values
of "replace" meaning "in my code" - I think it's a massive improvement on
CDBI, but I have no issue with people disagreeing with me on that :)

[CDBI] Can CDBI do this?
Ben Lavender 21:11 on 19 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Can CDBI do this?
Bill Moseley 21:20 on 19 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Can CDBI do this?
Will Hawes 21:32 on 19 Jan 2006

[CDBI] Re: Can CDBI do this?
Edward J. Sabol 21:45 on 19 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Re: Can CDBI do this?
Perrin Harkins 22:08 on 19 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Re: Can CDBI do this?
Matt S Trout 22:14 on 19 Jan 2006

Generated at 09:31 on 23 Jan 2006 by mariachi v0.52