Re: [CDBI] Cascading Update

From: Kingsley Kerce
Subject: Re: [CDBI] Cascading Update
Date: 22:20 on 06 Feb 2006
Jay Hargreaves writes:
 > I've created an admin script to allow users to create/modify/delete News
 > and NewsCategories entries. But I am having trouble when updating the
 > NewsCategories entry with a new ID. If I just change the ID in the
 > object and do an update nothing happens - perhaps I have missed
 > something as this seems the obvious way to do this.

Hi Jay -- Separate your notion of ID and primary key, and allow users
to modify a non-primary-key field named "ID".  Better yet, name the
field something other than "ID".

Generally, it's best to keep primary keys behind the scenes, away from
users.

Kings

[CDBI] Cascading Update
Jay Hargreaves 21:38 on 06 Feb 2006

Re: [CDBI] Cascading Update
yoorobot 22:14 on 06 Feb 2006

Re: [CDBI] Cascading Update
Jay Hargreaves 22:54 on 06 Feb 2006

Re: [CDBI] Cascading Update
yoorobot 23:05 on 06 Feb 2006

Re: [CDBI] Cascading Update
Jay Hargreaves 23:26 on 06 Feb 2006

Re: [CDBI] Cascading Update
.--- .- -- . ... 14:59 on 07 Feb 2006

Re: [CDBI] Cascading Update
Kingsley Kerce 22:20 on 06 Feb 2006

Re: [CDBI] Cascading Update
Jay Hargreaves 22:49 on 06 Feb 2006

Re: [CDBI] Cascading Update
Jay Hargreaves 15:02 on 07 Feb 2006

Generated at 23:19 on 12 Feb 2006 by mariachi v0.52