Utterly confused about set_db and db_Main

From: Alexander =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4fe?=
Subject: Utterly confused about set_db and db_Main
Date: 19:40 on 28 Apr 2004
Up until now, I loved working with Class::DBI, it has cut down
development time considerably.
But now, I have hit a snag.
The previous projects all had one hardcoded set_db, because they were
complete packages. But now, I am trying to built a blogging software
based on Class::DBI and HTML::Mason. And since the CDBI classes for
different blogs differ only in the database used, I am looking for a way
to set the DSN, username and password in httpd.conf via PerlSetEnv, so I
don't have to copy and edit the whole class stuff for each blog.

I've read the CDBI POD, as well as the mailing list, and so far, the
solution is not in sight.
I've tried removing the set_db from my base class und putting in:
sub db_Main
{
	Ima::DBI->connect_cached(@conn_info);
}
as was suggested here:
http://groups.kasei.com/mail/arc/cdbi-talk/2004-03/msg00037.html

I only got an error, that Ima::DBI has no method "connect_cached".
(Ima::DBI version: 0.33)

Another suggestion was to call set_db (and set_up_table, if using
CDB::mysql) at runtime, instead of setting it in the base class:
http://groups.kasei.com/mail/arc/cdbi-talk/2004-04/msg00002.html

With the latest 0.96 release candidate of CDBI, I get this compilation
error:
has_a needs a valid column at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Class/DBI/Relationship/HasA.pm line 12

This error does NOT appear, if I use set_db in my base class. I assume
that other classes that are listed in the has_a relationship are missing
a db handle.

The question is: What is the best way to have a bunch of CDBI classes,
that have has_a and has_many relationships with a run-time configurable
DSN?

I admit, that I might have hosed my CDBI install by installing the
latest Ima::DBI and the RC Class::DBI. If that's the case, what are
known working versions, that support either an overriden db_Main or a
late set_db?

Regards,
	Alexander Gräfe

Utterly confused about set_db and db_Main
Alexander =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4fe?= 19:40 on 28 Apr 2004

Re: Utterly confused about set_db and db_Main
Tony Bowden 20:02 on 28 Apr 2004

Re: Utterly confused about set_db and db_Main
Alexander =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4fe?= 19:47 on 29 Apr 2004

Re: Utterly confused about set_db and db_Main
Vince Veselosky 20:08 on 28 Apr 2004

Re: Utterly confused about set_db and db_Main
Dana Hudes 20:14 on 28 Apr 2004

Re: Utterly confused about set_db and db_Main
Alexander =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4fe?= 19:55 on 29 Apr 2004