Re: object cache/index multiple apps -- best practice?

From: Perrin Harkins
Subject: Re: object cache/index multiple apps -- best practice?
Date: 03:10 on 19 Jul 2004
Matt Sisk wrote:
> I've got several programs running simultaneously, and each program needs
> to be aware of updates to the database that the others might make.

This is a typical situation.  The object index intentionally does not
interfere with this.

> It's not a huge deal once I finally realized that clearing the object
> index before searching will clear up any synchronization problems.

That's not good.  It means you have scoping problems somewhere, either
in your own code or in Perl's behavior (see the recent thread about
scoping of return values).  Disabling the object index should not alter
the behavior of a program without scoping problems unless that program
was counting on being able to to work with two separate objects
representing the same row of data at once.  The only other situation
where people have had problems is when they have an incorrect primary
key set, or objects that contain data in TEMP columns which can not be
identified by a primary key.

So, feel free to not use it, but be aware that it may mean something
deeper is wrong.

> I'm just wondering if there's a magic bullet, best practice solution for
> this. Can it be disabled  entirely if desired?

Yes, all you have to do is this:

$Class::DBI::Weaken_Is_Available = 0;

- Perrin

Re: object cache/index multiple apps -- best practice?
Perrin Harkins 03:10 on 19 Jul 2004

Re: object cache/index multiple apps -- best practice?
Siamak Pazirandeh 18:46 on 19 Jul 2004