naming test modules for Class::DBI

From: cdbi-talk
Subject: naming test modules for Class::DBI
Date: 22:08 on 09 Aug 2004
Hi,

I have a couple of modules that I'd like to make available on CPAN. They both facilitate good testing practices in Class::DBI work. However, I'm having some trouble coming up with good names for them, and I figure since they're CDBI-specific, folks around here might be able to help out.

In keeping with the mantra "your test should always create and destroy all of its own data", the first module maintains a test SQLite database on disk, to which a tester can attach arbitrary CDBI classes at test time. The test database's schema is kept in synch with that of the production database (which can be anything supported by both CDBI and SQL::Translator), but it is kept empty of actual data, so that developers can focus on creating all their own test data for each test.

The second is a Test::Builder module that allows for testing of schema. It asks the question: "Does the database to which my CDBI classes are connecting actually have all the tables and columns they expect?"

I'd like to relate them to the Class::DBI namespace somehow. I could put them inside it by calling them something like Class::DBI::TestDB and Class::DBI::SchemaTester; would that be suitable? I certainly wouldn't do that without hearing from Tony Bowden (Tony, if you're reading this, what do you think?). Or, I could prepend (a la "Test::WWW:Mechanize"), to produce names like TestDB::Class::DBI and/or Test::Class::DBI.

I'm also not attached to using the same naming scheme for both modules.

So, any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Dan Friedman

naming test modules for Class::DBI