Re: Class::DBI::Loader won't install

From: Gabriel Horner
Subject: Re: Class::DBI::Loader won't install
Date: 04:03 on 14 Sep 2004
On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 04:09:01PM +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Dave Howorth wrote:
> >I'm trying to install Maypole via cpan, which is asking for a bunch of
> >other packages, one of which is Class::DBI::Loader. It is failing its
> >tests.
>
> Turns out this is a known bug, reported six months ago.  Are there
> alternatives to Class::DBI::Loader that can be used instead, if it's
> getting no maintenance?

Hey Dave,
 It's worrisome that &get_info doesn't retrieve anything. Look under DBI's pod for the method.
It explains that 29 is a code for a SQL quote character.
Having run into similar Class::DBI::Loader issues with Postgres, I'd say that the bigger problem is
not having a primary key for that table.
<rant>
   The for loop loops over all the tables in the database
which is a pain when one or two of them aren't primary key based. I've sent emails to the other
with code that would allow loading of individual tables to make this module more flexible and make
cases like yours less probable but no response :(.
</rant>
You can temporarily bypass this problem by skipping tables that don't have primary keys
using a next and a regular expression.

There is another module that autoloads Class::DBI classes, Class::DBI::AutoLoader, but
I doubt that you'll be able to switch this for Class::DBI::Loader in the Maypole
framework without understanding both loaders well.

Gabriel
        --
        my looovely website -- http://www.chwhat.com
BTW, IF chwhat.com goes down email me at gabriel.horner@xxxx.xx