Re: loading many objects from one query

From: Perrin Harkins
Subject: Re: loading many objects from one query
Date: 15:22 on 15 Sep 2004
On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 12:13, Todd Lorenz wrote:
> Why not go ahead and start thinking about the possibility of officially
> changing the status of the object index to object cache?

A cache will be developed at some point.  You are welcome to help.  I
have some things I plan to contribute and a few people have posted
sample code for their ideas.

> Though the purpose
> of the index may be to prevent duplicate objects in memory, this does
> currently have the side effect of acting as a cache in some cases.

No, I don't think it ever does.  CDBI hits the database first before
checking the index.

> It seems
> as though most people are thinking of the index in terms of a cache already,
> anyway.

Those people are not correct though.  That is why all of the methods
have those long ugly names referring to "object index" and not to
"cache."

> If I understand it correctly (which I'm not sure I do) the only
> difference would be that the object wouldn't be blown away in the
> index/cache when all other references to it go out of scope.

There's a bit more to it.  You would need to avoid hitting the database
in places where it is currently hit, and you would also need to cache
the results of searches to really make this useful.  Nothing terrible
though.

There's really nothing big holding this back at the moment except people
who are familiar enough with CDBI finding time to work on it.

- Perrin

Andrew Pimlott 01:05 on 14 Sep 2004

Re: loading many objects from one query
Perrin Harkins 02:22 on 14 Sep 2004

Re: loading many objects from one query
Tim Bunce 09:09 on 14 Sep 2004

Re: loading many objects from one query
Perrin Harkins 14:21 on 14 Sep 2004

Re: loading many objects from one query
Tim Bunce 16:07 on 14 Sep 2004

Re: loading many objects from one query
Perrin Harkins 16:12 on 14 Sep 2004

Re: loading many objects from one query
Andrew Pimlott 23:05 on 14 Sep 2004

Re: loading many objects from one query
Perrin Harkins 23:22 on 14 Sep 2004

Re: loading many objects from one query
Todd Lorenz 16:13 on 14 Sep 2004

Re: loading many objects from one query
Tim Bunce 13:52 on 15 Sep 2004

Re: loading many objects from one query
Perrin Harkins 15:22 on 15 Sep 2004

Re: loading many objects from one query
merlyn (Randal L. Schwartz) 17:10 on 16 Sep 2004

Re: loading many objects from one query
Andrew Pimlott 19:17 on 16 Sep 2004

Re: loading many objects from one query
Tim Bunce 17:36 on 14 Sep 2004