Re: 'sequence' table?

From: Dave Howorth
Subject: Re: 'sequence' table?
Date: 12:08 on 20 Sep 2004
Tony Bowden answered some of my questions, and I'm grateful for any help
at all, but I have to say that a little more detail would help me even
more. Just contradicting my statements doesn't really help me find the
answer.

>>FWIW, I would prefer to call the table 'sequences' and the column
>>'sequences_id', or better yet 'sequence_id'. But I can't!
> Why not?

Suppose I do. Then I'd like to say:

__PACKAGE__->has_a(sequence => 'Sequences');

so that I can say print $obj->sequence->length for example.

That isn't supported, but I'm not clear what a reasonable idiom is to
get that effect.

>>CDBI needs FK columns to be the same as table names.
> No, it doesn't.

Sorry, it's Class::DBI::Loader::Relationship that wants the names to be
the same.

>>Maypole needs table names to be singular.
> As far as I know, this isn't true either.

Maypole calls Lingua::EN::Inflect::PL on the table name. According to
LEI's docs "The results of passing a plural form are undefined (and
unlikely to be correct)."

(Due to the peculiarities of English in most cases you get what looks
like a reasonable singular from a plural noun, because LEI classifies
the word as a singlar verb and returns the plural form :)  But in the
Maypole application, this means the phrases generated in the HTML aren't
correct.

Thanks, Dave

(message missing)

'sequence' table?