Re: Selecting (and accessing) from many tables

From: Jesse Sheidlower
Subject: Re: Selecting (and accessing) from many tables
Date: 15:22 on 21 Sep 2004
On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 04:08:31PM +0100, Tony Bowden wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 10:05:32AM -0400, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
> > So, I don't really want to throw
> > 200 more queries than necessary at an app that's already
> > running on the edge.
>
> You almost certainly don't want to be using CDBI for an application
> where the database is so finely balanced that 200 queries is a problem.

200 queries isn't itself a problem. When there are ten or
twenty or more people using the database at the same time,
however, doing queries some of which are computationally or
I/O intensive, I'd rather not subject it to an extra 199
queries/user for each request.

Perhaps I can do the main query all raw, and then use CDBI for
some of the accessorizing. That had been my goal with using
set_sql, but I hadn't realized that getting things out would
be this complicated.

Jesse Sheidlower

(message missing)

Selecting (and accessing) from many tables
Jesse Sheidlower 00:46 on 20 Sep 2004

Re: Selecting (and accessing) from many tables
Tony Bowden 07:18 on 20 Sep 2004

Re: Selecting (and accessing) from many tables
Jesse Sheidlower 12:05 on 20 Sep 2004

Re: Selecting (and accessing) from many tables
Tony Bowden 16:47 on 20 Sep 2004

Re: Selecting (and accessing) from many tables
Jesse Sheidlower 22:55 on 20 Sep 2004

Re: Selecting (and accessing) from many tables
Tony Bowden 07:04 on 21 Sep 2004

Re: Selecting (and accessing) from many tables
Perrin Harkins 19:29 on 20 Sep 2004

Re: Selecting (and accessing) from many tables
Jesse Sheidlower 13:28 on 21 Sep 2004

Re: Selecting (and accessing) from many tables
Tony Bowden 13:56 on 21 Sep 2004

Re: Selecting (and accessing) from many tables
Jesse Sheidlower 14:05 on 21 Sep 2004

Re: Selecting (and accessing) from many tables
Tony Bowden 15:08 on 21 Sep 2004

Re: Selecting (and accessing) from many tables
Jesse Sheidlower 15:22 on 21 Sep 2004

Re: Selecting (and accessing) from many tables
Tony Bowden 15:28 on 21 Sep 2004

RE: Selecting (and accessing) from many tables
Carl Johnstone 15:42 on 21 Sep 2004

Re: Selecting (and accessing) from many tables
Perrin Harkins 16:08 on 21 Sep 2004