[OT] ERD and schema generation

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: [OT] ERD and schema generation
Date: 21:28 on 07 Jun 2005
Under Linux are there any recommended tools for schema generation and
diagramming and examples of the process?

I've been working on a schema that has about 40 tables so far.  I'm
working with SQLite now, but later will use Postgresql.  I wanted to
try and generate an ER diagram to help visualize the relationships.
But, I'm also interested in a tool that could generate SQL for
various databases.

I started looking at SQL::Translator's sqlt-graph output but couldn't
get a good diagram -- I may be expecting it to do too much based on my
input .sql files.

DB Designer4 [1] seems nice, but looks specific to MySQL and seems to
be no longer in development.  tedia2sql [2] sounds nice for generating
the SQL, but I killed over an hour trying to figure out Dia and
tedia2sql and didn't get anywhere.

I like the idea of DB Designer4 if it would generate for more than
MySQL.  AND if it was supported and would print on my printer...

Are there tools that you use?  Any suggestions for creating diagrams?

Use SQLFairy for translating between databases?

[1] http://www.fabforce.net/dbdesigner4/index.php
[2] http://tedia2sql.tigris.org/

        --
        Bill Moseley