Using outside DB handles

From: Brett Sanger
Subject: Using outside DB handles
Date: 18:05 on 06 Jul 2005
My agency has a package that returns a DB handle.  Any access to the db
uses this package to connect, so any and all of our DB accesses pass
through a common configuration point.

It's worked wonderfully...until I try to implement CDBI.

Now I can have one master CDBI module and get the connections there, but
that's still one duplication, and we do have non-CDBI code out there.
The CDBI docs tell me how to insert my own handle, but wants that handle
to be an Ima::DBI.

So I'm looking into the compatibility there.  Browsing Ima::DBI, it
appears that it will let me snag a handle out of it via db_*(), so I can
change the common DBH accessor to pull from an Ima::DBI if needed.  Does
anyone consider this a bad idea?  Does anyone have experience to share
here?

Thanks in advance
        --
        SwiftOne  /  Brett Sanger