loging class

From: tom.kirkpatrick
Subject: loging class
Date: 10:59 on 28 Jul 2005
I need a kind of CDBI logging class, ie. one which logs all changes made
to the database to a loging table (within the database).

I'm guessing that this could be done through the use of triggers, but is
there a better way? Or has such a thing been implemented so many times
before that there is a nice class out there on CPAN waiting and ready for
me to use?

I'm thinking you might have a log table like so:

log_id        date        table_name        column_name        old_value
  new_value

Which basically keeps a history of the entire database. Is this a silly
idea or might it work?
more to the point, is there some code out there I can steal to get it done
quickly!

thanks
tom

        --