Re: [CDBI] mysql connections

From: Rolf Schaufelberger
Subject: Re: [CDBI] mysql connections
Date: 10:14 on 25 Sep 2005
> Hi!
>
> Sorry to bring up this issue again, but I'm not sure what the current state
> of affairs is regarding this issue:
>
> I have a rather big CDBI based application runnning on a server I have
> nearly no access rights to. The sysadmins complain that the app is using to
> much connections to the MySQL DB.
>
> It's a fairly standard CDBI setup running with mod_perl and Apache::DBI.
>
> Do I need to add a custom db_Main method as described here
>   http://wiki.class-dbi.com/index.cgi?UsingWithModPerl
> to get the mysql connection numbers down?
>
> Or are there any other ways to properly share one connection to mysql in all
> Apache children?
>
> Is it in fact advisable to share one connection?

If you have one application with ONE connection (= dbuser) there is nothing to
share. Each apache porcess needs his connection.
You can try to split your application in a frontend and backend server as
described in the mod_perl tuning guide. A relation of 10 :1 should be
possible, so the number of db connections will decrease by a factor of ten.
Worked very well for me (yet with a postgres db, but that's not the point). So
I have 100 frontend servers and 25 backend serves running (I hava a very
sepcial application where I need some more backend servers).

        --
        Greetings

Rolf Schaufelberger

[CDBI] mysql connections
Thomas Klausner 11:40 on 22 Sep 2005

Re: [CDBI] mysql connections
David Baird 11:45 on 22 Sep 2005

Re: [CDBI] mysql connections
Rolf Schaufelberger 10:14 on 25 Sep 2005

Generated at 17:55 on 28 Sep 2005 by mariachi v0.52