Re: Weird Problems when using a Class::DBI subclass together with Apache::AuthCookie

From: Sebastian Willert
Subject: Re: Weird Problems when using a Class::DBI subclass together with Apache::AuthCookie
Date: 20:36 on 23 Aug 2004
On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 14:39 -0400, William McKee wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 09:09:02PM +0200, Sebastian Willert wrote:
> > Does this behavior ring some bells? Does anyone know whats happening
> > here and if there are any better solutions than mine?
>
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> I hope you've solved this already but thought I'd throw in what little
> I know since noone appears to have responded.

Thanks a lot for your answer, I know I was a bit vague about my problem
so I am glad someone took the time to answer. I haven't had time to
investigate the cause of the problem in detail, and no, apart from the
workaround I've posted together with the problem description, I didn't
even get a hint to the possible cause of the error, the problem
persists.

> First, I notice that in sub authen_cred and sub authen_ses_key that you
> call Slimnet::User->retrieve_with_creds(). Shouldn't that be
> My::User->...?

Ooops, this seems to have slipped me while composing the first message.
I've the habit to remove project names from my mailing list posts (at
least when they are contract work), and Slimnet::User should read
My::User in this post. The naming in the sources is correct, though.

> Also, have you tested using My::User outside of the mod_perl framework
> just to be sure it's working as expected? I've written many test cases
> against my CDBI subclass just to make sure it's doing what I expect.
> This has helped me learn the ins and outs of CDBI and double-checks any
> changes that I make to the subclass.

Yes, I've tested it in and out of mod_perl, and I got the feeling that
the problem is strongly connected to pre-loading Class::DBI modules with
mod_perl. I hoped, anybody could confirm this assumption and point me to
a way to avoid this, or spot any errors I've made.

Hopefully I can get back to you with a full fledged error report or even
a patch (although I am sure this will require heavy digging in the
mod_perl sources, something I'd rather not do *g*) when time permits,
but this won't be anytime soon.

Regards,
  Sebastian

Re: Weird Problems when using a Class::DBI subclass together with Apache::AuthCookie
Sebastian Willert 20:36 on 23 Aug 2004