Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI::Loader question

From: Perrin Harkins
Subject: Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI::Loader question
Date: 18:58 on 12 Oct 2004
On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 14:43, Kingsley Kerce wrote:
> I've just run the latest SQL::Translator's Class::DBI producer against
> a PostgreSQL schema of a simple many-to-many relation.  I can't see
> how the resulting Class::DBI code would be helpful to anyone.

It doesn't look so bad to me.  There are a couple of bits that reflect
one person's taste and that I would probably do differently.

> SQL::Translator's Class::DBI producer is dated February 2004, and the
> source contains many "fix this"-type comments.  I can't recommend it.

Enhancing SQL::Translator sounds easier to me than making big changes to
Class::DBI::Loader.  SQL::Translator creates an abstract model of your
database and relationships and then lets you generate things like
Class::DBI code from it by running it through templates.  It also
understands things like table relationships which I don't think
Class::DBI::Loader covers yet.

> Again, I emphasize that it would be more useful to have a lower-level
> dump of Class::DBI's structures

SQL::Translator can give you all kinds of different formats - XML, YAML,
etc.

I just think you're going to end up duplicating effort if you try to
wedge a bunch of things into Class::DBI::Loader.

- Perrin

(message missing)

domain cross talk...?
Michael Jensen 06:47 on 06 Oct 2004

Re: domain cross talk...?
William McKee 14:41 on 06 Oct 2004

Re: domain cross talk...?
Perrin Harkins 14:47 on 06 Oct 2004

Re: domain cross talk...?
William McKee 14:51 on 06 Oct 2004

Re: domain cross talk...?
Perrin Harkins 15:06 on 06 Oct 2004

Re: domain cross talk...?
William McKee 15:32 on 06 Oct 2004

Re: domain cross talk...?
Perrin Harkins 15:36 on 06 Oct 2004

Re: domain cross talk...?
Michael Jensen 16:03 on 06 Oct 2004

Re: domain cross talk...?
Michael Jensen 16:16 on 06 Oct 2004

Re: domain cross talk...?
Perrin Harkins 16:27 on 06 Oct 2004

Re: domain cross talk...?
Carl Johnstone 23:17 on 06 Oct 2004

Re: domain cross talk...?
William McKee 15:53 on 06 Oct 2004

Re: domain cross talk...?
merlyn (Randal L. Schwartz) 16:17 on 06 Oct 2004

Re: domain cross talk...?
Perrin Harkins 16:31 on 06 Oct 2004

[CDBI] Class::DBI::Loader question
Peter Speltz 00:31 on 12 Oct 2004

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI::Loader question
Kingsley Kerce 02:57 on 12 Oct 2004

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI::Loader question
Perrin Harkins 04:12 on 12 Oct 2004

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI::Loader question
Kingsley Kerce 18:43 on 12 Oct 2004

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI::Loader question
Clayton L. Scott 17:08 on 12 Oct 2004

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI::Loader question
Peter Speltz 17:32 on 12 Oct 2004

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI::Loader question
Perrin Harkins 18:58 on 12 Oct 2004

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI::Loader question
Kingsley Kerce 14:26 on 14 Oct 2004

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI::Loader question
Perrin Harkins 15:17 on 14 Oct 2004

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI::Loader question
Tony Bowden 15:39 on 14 Oct 2004

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI::Loader question
Kingsley Kerce 14:26 on 14 Oct 2004

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI::Loader question
Tim Bunce 16:22 on 14 Oct 2004

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI::Loader question
merlyn (Randal L. Schwartz) 17:24 on 14 Oct 2004