Re: abstract class with Class::DBI

From: Tony Bowden
Subject: Re: abstract class with Class::DBI
Date: 14:41 on 21 Oct 2004
On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 09:00:45AM -0400, William McKee wrote:
>   *NOTE* You should not attempt to make your primary key column inflate
>   using has_a() as bad things will happen. If you have two tables which
>   share a primary key, consider using might_have() instead.
>
> I was hoping that one of the developers would say something about your
> statement. I don't think that setting a has_a relationship on a primary
> key is the same as inflating it. I use this setup all the time and have
> not seen problems.

It is the same. That's what the docs mean.

In general it shouldn't cause a problem if the resulting inflated object
stringifies to the value you want to appear in the database. If,
however, you're inflating something like a date, which usually won't
stringify the way you want, you'll have problems.

There were also problems with DBD::Pg not working correctly in some
cases, but I believe this may be fixed now.

Tony

(message missing)

abstract class with Class::DBI
Edward Betts 15:09 on 20 Oct 2004