Oracle cursors and purge

From: Jim Brandt
Subject: Oracle cursors and purge
Date: 14:45 on 03 Nov 2004
I've got a web app using Class::DBI and I recently had an "edge case"
for a particular script that caused Oracle to start spewing:

ORA-01000 maximum open cursors exceeded

I investigated and found a few loops creating quite a few CDBI objects
because of the large number of records.

I experimented with the purge_object_index_every method, and setting
that to a lower value appeared to solve the problem. I think our Oracle
cursor setting is at 1000, so the script was going over.

My question is, would folks expect setting the purge this way would
solve the problem? I just want to make sure it's actually doing what I
think it's doing.

If this is the case, I can add some info to the Kwiki regarding the
open cursors error.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim Brandt