Re: Oracle cursors and purge

From: Adam Przygienda
Subject: Re: Oracle cursors and purge
Date: 13:55 on 08 Nov 2004
Hi Jim,

do you use retrieve_from_sql or other functions which include SQL
statements
or parts of SQL statements?

Can you post here a piece of code incl. your sql statement which raised
this exception?

If you don't use bind variables in the WHERE part of your sql statements
and query a large number of objects, Oracle will create an open cursor
for every single call to the db.

Geetings
Adam

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:45:49 -0500, Jim Brandt <cbrandt@xxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:

> I've got a web app using Class::DBI and I recently had an "edge case"
> for a particular script that caused Oracle to start spewing:
>
> ORA-01000 maximum open cursors exceeded
>
> I investigated and found a few loops creating quite a few CDBI objects
> because of the large number of records.
>
> I experimented with the purge_object_index_every method, and setting
> that to a lower value appeared to solve the problem. I think our Oracle
> cursor setting is at 1000, so the script was going over.
>
> My question is, would folks expect setting the purge this way would
> solve the problem? I just want to make sure it's actually doing what I
> think it's doing.
>
> If this is the case, I can add some info to the Kwiki regarding the open
> cursors error.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

> Jim Brandt