Re: missing the point about mapping from database to object to external rep

From: merlyn (Randal L. Schwartz)
Subject: Re: missing the point about mapping from database to object to external rep
Date: 21:49 on 03 Dec 2004

Drew> On 03 Dec 2004 13:41:45 -0800, Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:
>> What I *really* want is:
>>
>> call X when you go from user to object
>> call Y when you go from object to database
>> call Z when you go from database to object

Drew> You already have Y & Z: deflate() & inflate() respectively. The method
Drew> names are configurable via the relationship definition. Is there
Drew> something I'm missing?

Two things.

1) "X" (see above)

2) Why does it need to be an object?  Why can't I just say what I say
above?  I want the "start_date" field in my object to be mapped to the
database in a particular way.  Why does it need to be an object of a
particular class?  I didn't see any way to give inflate without it
inflating to a particular class.

But #1 is the the most critical.

<merlyn@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>

missing the point about mapping from database to object to external rep
merlyn (Randal L. Schwartz) 21:29 on 03 Dec 2004

Re: missing the point about mapping from database to object to external rep
merlyn (Randal L. Schwartz) 21:49 on 03 Dec 2004