Re: Hibernate and ActiveRecord (Ruby-on-Rails) comparison

From: Carl Johnstone
Subject: Re: Hibernate and ActiveRecord (Ruby-on-Rails) comparison
Date: 10:29 on 22 Apr 2005
From: "Perrin Harkins" <perrin@xxxx.xxx>
> Tony Bowden wrote:
>> 2) ORMs should auto-save changes without having to manually save()
>>
>> I've seen this argument quite a few times, and I've never quite bought
>> it. I suspect this is more true for people who want a way to work with
>> objects that persist without ever really thinking they're dealing with a
>> database. CDBI (and I presume AR) is more for people who "think" in
>> database terms, and want rid of much of the drudgery. Before I had CDBI
>> I'd still have to issue lots of UPDATE statements. CDBI just simplifies
>> that.
>
> I do think that having to keep track of which objects need update() called
> on them is a pain and a source of bugs.  I don't think it's trivial to do
> it automatically though, so I'm not sure CDBI should try.

Isn't that what autoupdate does?

Would an alternative to call update on the object within DESTROY? (There's
currently a croak in there to warn that you haven't called update)

Carl

Re: Hibernate and ActiveRecord (Ruby-on-Rails) comparison
Carl Johnstone 10:29 on 22 Apr 2005

Generated at 09:29 on 27 Apr 2005 by mariachi v0.52