Re: CDBI and FormBuilder

From: David Baird
Subject: Re: CDBI and FormBuilder
Date: 23:26 on 22 Jun 2005
Nathan Wiger wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Tony suggested I post this to the list.
>
> So I'm putting together an article for perl.com on CGI::FormBuilder, as
> well as coordinating the 3.03 release of CFB. I know that there are many
> CDBI users that also use CFB, so I'm hoping you all can shed some
> light on:
>
>     1. Ways that CDBI and CFB work well together
>
>     2. Areas in need of improvement (aka things that suck)
>
>     3. Specific suggestions/examples
>
> In the 3.x series, CFB's internals have been completely rewritten and
> extremely modularized; the 3.03 release will see individual classes for
> all elements, with inherited classes for select/radio/etc items (which
> allow polymorphic fields via reblessing). So, if there are any
> suggestions, now is a good time.

Hi Nate,

I've been a big fan of CGI::FormBuilder for ages, even though I prefer
HTML::Mason as a templating system. That meant some pretty scary hackery
to get anything out of CGI::FB 2.x. The 3.x re-write changed all that!

A couple of weeks back I released CDBI::FormBuilder, which pulls
metadata out of CDBI and uses it to configure forms. It also provides
some methods to tie form handling to CDBI. I also made
Maypole::FormBuilder, which replaces the default Maypole model with one
that uses CDBI::FormBuilder. There's a demo at
beerfb.riverside-cms.co.uk. And I might as well mention
Maypole::Plugin::QuickTable, which got tied in to all this. Not to
mention SQL::Abstract::Limit. Really it's getting a bit embarrassing!

I've been vaguely wondering about integrating custom widgets with
CGI::FormBuilder - javascript calendars or simpler date-picker combos. I
haven't looked into it yet, maybe it's straightforward, and the new
classes will probably help there.

Cheers,

d.

CDBI and FormBuilder