[CDBI] Re: DBI's last_insert_id and Class::DBI's _auto_increment_value

From: Edward J. Sabol
Subject: [CDBI] Re: DBI's last_insert_id and Class::DBI's _auto_increment_value
Date: 19:36 on 22 Nov 2005
>> I completely agree with you. Tim Bunce brought up this same issue on the old
>> Class::DBI mailing, and I thought he had convinced Tony Bowden to change the
>> _auto_increment_value code to use DBI's last_insert_id, but it appears Tony
>> Bowden never implemnted the change.
>
> I can't say I'm overly surprised; I tried to use last_insert_id for
> auto-increment columns in DBIx::Class and ran into a widely varying level
> of support from different DBDs [...]

That's true, but I stand by my recommendation for David to submit a bug
report and patch via RT. Switching to last_insert_id isn't a panacea. It
won't eliminate the need for database-specific CDBI classes for all
databases, but it (presumably) will work for more databases than the current
code and it would make Class::DBI database agnostic, which it really should be.

[CDBI] Re: DBI's last_insert_id and Class::DBI's _auto_increment_value
Edward J. Sabol 19:36 on 22 Nov 2005