Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class

From: Ryan Tate
Subject: Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Date: 18:30 on 17 Jan 2006
DBIx::Class isn't quite easy or clear enough yet, at least not from
where I sit. (Not that this is a surprise or a slam, considering the
module is at 0.04xxx.)

If you want to learn Class::DBI, you can do pretty well just reading
the docs for that one module, and learning the methods for that one
class.

For DBIx::Class, I need to read (or am left to guess I need to read):

DBIx::Class::Manual  =09
DBIx::Class::Manual::Cookbook =09
DBIx::Class::Manual::FAQ =09
DBIx::Class::Manual::Intro

While it's great that so much effort has been put into docs at such an
early stage, this setup runs counter to my instinct to just read the
dang perldoc for the dang module.

I also feel awash in classes and choices. If I go the "schema" route I
need to inherit from DBIx::Class::Core or a subclass, and also go read
up on DBIx::Class::Schema. If I go the "Simple Route" I need to know
DBIx::Class::DB  and DBIx::Class::Table  and subclass one (or both?).

 I should also take a look at DBIx::Class::CDBICompat when I'm done
with the other reading (or first?).

Already I have questions: what documentation should I read, and in
what order? How do I choose between Simple and Schema setup? Should I
read DBIx::Class::CDBICompat first, or DBIx::Class::Manual::Intro?

The first time I read the docs, I thought they were largely bare.
That's party because DBIx::Class::Manual is really a table of
contents, not a manual, listing chapters under "Sections." I thought
the content was going to be filled in later. Dumb, I know, but is this
module even needed?

I also thought the manual could have more (as others have mentioned)
on the value add brought by DBIx::Class, even right up there in the
info.

The Cookbook is very cool, taking the sort of stuff CDBI keeps on the
wiki and putting it right there in the distro, but I couldn't make
sense of the join stuff, which actually lives in=20
DBIx::Class::ResultSet, and I don't even know where that module fits
in the big scheme of things (at first it seems to be clearly the type
of obj returned by ->search but then if it is a result set why do I
control joins from here?) so I just resolve to put off figuring it out
to when I have more time.

Again I'm not trying to slam the module, just pointing out what is
slowing up adoption for one relatively busy person. Whenever I look at
DBIx::Class, I feel like I'm drowning.

[CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
David Lloyd 00:29 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Matt S Trout 01:18 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Tim Bunce 10:04 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Tim Bunce 00:15 on 28 Feb 2006

Old announce thread
Matt S Trout 15:29 on 28 Feb 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Brad Bowman 11:07 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
yoorobot 15:14 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Matt S Trout 16:15 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Christopher H. Laco 16:10 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Perrin Harkins 16:42 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Ryan Tate 18:30 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Matt S Trout 01:27 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Matt S Trout 18:40 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Perrin Harkins 18:44 on 17 Jan 2006

RE: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Dmitri Bichko 16:22 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
John Siracusa 16:43 on 18 Jan 2006

RE: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Dmitri Bichko 17:49 on 18 Jan 2006

RE: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Perrin Harkins 18:03 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
John Siracusa 18:05 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
John Siracusa 18:06 on 18 Jan 2006

RE: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Dmitri Bichko 18:20 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Matt S Trout 19:00 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Simon Wilcox 19:16 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Perrin Harkins 20:30 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Tim Bunce 00:56 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
John Siracusa 01:12 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Tim Bunce 11:36 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
John Siracusa 12:37 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Matt S Trout 01:21 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Tim Bunce 11:37 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Tim Bunce 23:43 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Ryan Tate 23:57 on 18 Jan 2006

Generated at 20:44 on 01 Mar 2006 by mariachi v0.52