Re: ORM comparison suggestion (was Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class)

From: Matt S Trout
Subject: Re: ORM comparison suggestion (was Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class)
Date: 15:08 on 28 Feb 2006
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 01:20:34PM +0000, William Ross wrote:
> On 28 Feb 2006, at 00:15, Tim Bunce wrote:

> >>I think that would be a very good idea. The current confusion isn't
> >>good for anyone.
> >
> >Any news?
>
> Not from me :)
>
> But I have been thinking about this, and I'd like to suggest that we
> devise a yardstick, in the form of a simple and useful application
> that would provide:
>
> * a fixed reference point for comparing different approaches. Eg
> 'with cdbi this part is done for you, whereas with Rose you have to
> specify it in code, but as a result it's cleaner and you save this
> many queries', or whatever.
>
> * a practical tutorial for people new to ORM or to a particular package
>
> * a source of real-world benchmarks
>
> * a platform on which to place practical documentation and how-to guides
>
> * a way of structuring the problem space so that it is easy to
> express questions and answers in a generic way (like, but more
> extensive than, the Class::DBI docs' usefully consistent references
> to albums and artists and so on)
>
> * a cargo-friendly starting point for small applications...
>
> * ...and an encapsulation of relevant best practice
>
> * a basis for platform and package evangelism
>
> * a useful way of looking at migration between ORM solutions
>
> * golfing fun for all the family
>

> The obvious candidate is a wiki package, and let's face it, there
> aren't enough of those[1]. So I would like to suggest a simple and
> nicely reflexive plan:

Sounds like fun, except suddenly it's a web framework competition as well.
Which somewhat misses the point. Unless we specify one web framework, at
which stage there's an argument to be had about view processor and form
builder (at least under Catalyst, which does it's level best to not be too
opinionated about such things).

Better might be to do the Simplest Wiki Frontend Possible and define a nice
big back-end API with plenty of unit tests, then force everybody to code to
said unit tests.

[CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
David Lloyd 00:29 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Matt S Trout 01:18 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Tim Bunce 10:04 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Tim Bunce 00:15 on 28 Feb 2006

Re: ORM comparison suggestion (was Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class)
Matt S Trout 15:08 on 28 Feb 2006

Old announce thread
Matt S Trout 15:29 on 28 Feb 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Brad Bowman 11:07 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
yoorobot 15:14 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Matt S Trout 16:15 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Christopher H. Laco 16:10 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Perrin Harkins 16:42 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Ryan Tate 18:30 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Matt S Trout 01:27 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Matt S Trout 18:40 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Perrin Harkins 18:44 on 17 Jan 2006

RE: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Dmitri Bichko 16:22 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
John Siracusa 16:43 on 18 Jan 2006

RE: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Dmitri Bichko 17:49 on 18 Jan 2006

RE: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Perrin Harkins 18:03 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
John Siracusa 18:05 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
John Siracusa 18:06 on 18 Jan 2006

RE: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Dmitri Bichko 18:20 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Matt S Trout 19:00 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Simon Wilcox 19:16 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Perrin Harkins 20:30 on 17 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Tim Bunce 00:56 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
John Siracusa 01:12 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Tim Bunce 11:36 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
John Siracusa 12:37 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Matt S Trout 01:21 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Tim Bunce 11:37 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Tim Bunce 23:43 on 18 Jan 2006

Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class
Ryan Tate 23:57 on 18 Jan 2006

Generated at 20:45 on 01 Mar 2006 by mariachi v0.52