Re: Apache pre-forking

From: jason scott gessner
Subject: Re: Apache pre-forking
Date: 00:06 on 03 Aug 2004
On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 16:50, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 17:19, Tim Bunce wrote:
> > It doesn't cache connections, but does it (or something else) explicitly
> > disconnect before the fork?

The real problem with this setup is that if you wish to use different
connections with the same base class (think development vs. staging, or
clientA vs. clientB) then you must manually issue a new connection (even
though apache::DBI will have cached it if applicable).

When i tried overriding db_Main() in my base class, my code only talked
to the proper database if in every request in the scope of a given
virtual host I told it to use the right database.  This is a total drag.

The problem I see is that half of C::DBI uses "pure" OO, where you
retrieve and get a new object and everything relates to that object.
The database connection is essentially a big global variable.  :(

-jason

Apache pre-forking
Tony Bowden 15:35 on 02 Aug 2004

Re: Apache pre-forking
Simon Wilcox 15:43 on 02 Aug 2004

Re: Apache pre-forking
Tim Bunce 21:17 on 02 Aug 2004

Re: Apache pre-forking
Stuart Johnston 16:16 on 02 Aug 2004

Re: Apache pre-forking
Perrin Harkins 17:47 on 02 Aug 2004

Re: Apache pre-forking
Tim Bunce 21:19 on 02 Aug 2004

Re: Apache pre-forking
Perrin Harkins 21:50 on 02 Aug 2004

Re: Apache pre-forking
jason scott gessner 00:06 on 03 Aug 2004

Re: Apache pre-forking
Perrin Harkins 17:33 on 03 Aug 2004