Re: Apache pre-forking

From: Perrin Harkins
Subject: Re: Apache pre-forking
Date: 17:33 on 03 Aug 2004
On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 20:06, jason scott gessner wrote:
> The real problem with this setup is that if you wish to use different
> connections with the same base class (think development vs. staging, or
> clientA vs. clientB) then you must manually issue a new connection (even
> though apache::DBI will have cached it if applicable).

Well, that is a problem, but it's a different problem.  What you're
talking about is more of a configuration issue.  That's separate from
persistent connections playing well with mod_perl.

> When i tried overriding db_Main() in my base class, my code only talked
> to the proper database if in every request in the scope of a given
> virtual host I told it to use the right database.  This is a total drag.

That interface doesn't sound too bad to me.  How else would it know
which database you wanted for a particular request?  The question is
whether or not switching databases out from under Ima::DBI will cause it
to do extra work regenerating closures for prepared statements.

- Perrin

Apache pre-forking
Tony Bowden 15:35 on 02 Aug 2004

Re: Apache pre-forking
Simon Wilcox 15:43 on 02 Aug 2004

Re: Apache pre-forking
Tim Bunce 21:17 on 02 Aug 2004

Re: Apache pre-forking
Stuart Johnston 16:16 on 02 Aug 2004

Re: Apache pre-forking
Perrin Harkins 17:47 on 02 Aug 2004

Re: Apache pre-forking
Tim Bunce 21:19 on 02 Aug 2004

Re: Apache pre-forking
Perrin Harkins 21:50 on 02 Aug 2004

Re: Apache pre-forking
jason scott gessner 00:06 on 03 Aug 2004

Re: Apache pre-forking
Perrin Harkins 17:33 on 03 Aug 2004