Re: Geo::Postcode

From: Carl Johnstone
Subject: Re: Geo::Postcode
Date: 09:05 on 03 Sep 2004
  =20
 > IANAL, but I don't believe that either of these mean you=20
> couldn't build your own
> postcode mapping. If you license it from them you'll be restricted by
> contract law on what you can do, but if you don't, and build=20
> your own, I
> don't think copyright law becomes an issue.

Again IANAL but I'd agree with that.

The raw data itself is not copyright, it's the database that is. There's =
various other things that come under the same rules in the UK - the most =
popular being sports results.

There's a database of postcodes -> long/lat already available as free =
download here:

http://www.jibble.org/ukpostcodes/

As that's been up there for quite some time it's a reasonable indicator =
that the data is safe. I'd imagine that the compilers of that data can =
probably help with the legal questions.

Carl  =20
GMG Regional Digital is part of the Guardian Media Group plc.=20
=20
=20
 =20
=20
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE. The information contained in this e-mail is =
intended only for cdbi-talk@xxxxxx.xxxxx.xxx. It may contain privileged =
and confidential information that is exempt from disclosure by law and =
if you are not an intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or =
take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in =
error, you may notify us by telephone on 44 (0)161 832 7200. E-mail =
transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. The sender =
(carl.johnstone@xxxxx.xx.xx) therefore does not accept liability for any =
errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a =
result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please =
request a hard-copy version. =20
 =20
 =20
 =20