Re: Geo::Postcode

From: will
Subject: Re: Geo::Postcode
Date: 09:19 on 03 Sep 2004
Carl Johnstone writes:

>  > IANAL, but I don't believe that either of these mean you
>> couldn't build your own
>> postcode mapping. If you license it from them you'll be restricted by
>> contract law on what you can do, but if you don't, and build
>> your own, I
>> don't think copyright law becomes an issue.
>
> Again IANAL but I'd agree with that.
>
> The raw data itself is not copyright, it's the database that is. There's various other things that come under the same rules in the UK - the most popular being sports results.
>
> There's a database of postcodes -> long/lat already available as free download here:
>
> http://www.jibble.org/ukpostcodes/

That's where the sample data in Geo::Postcode comes from. There is no
guarantee that it doesn't come from the PAF at some point, but the jibble
people don't think so, and the format of it doesn't look like PAF data to
me.

The next step I fondly imagine is a low-effort mass-participation project in
which people with gps gadgets can put in postcode/coordinate pairs. i don't
see how that can be in violation of copyright, and would be prepared to
stand up for that. openpostcode, anyone?

but for now I'm aware that there may be IP issues at some point, especially
if the module is widely adopted. I'm no lawyer either, so I can't predict
what that will mean for users of the module: not much, i would think, and
nothing at all for anyone who has bought their own data.

best

will

> As that's been up there for quite some time it's a reasonable indicator that the data is safe. I'd imagine that the compilers of that data can probably help with the legal questions.
>
> Carl
> GMG Regional Digital is part of the Guardian Media Group plc.
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE. The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for cdbi-talk@xxxxxx.xxxxx.xxx. It may contain privileged and confidential information that is exempt from disclosure by law and if you are not an intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, you may notify us by telephone on 44 (0)161 832 7200. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. The sender (carl.johnstone@xxxxx.xx.xx) therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.

Geo::Postcode
william ross 18:39 on 31 Aug 2004

Re: Geo::Postcode
Tony Bowden 18:22 on 02 Sep 2004