Re: prefixing table names?

From: Bowen Dwelle
Subject: Re: prefixing table names?
Date: 22:05 on 15 Oct 2004
Tony Bowden wrote:

> I don't understand the problem.
>
> Class::DBI doesn't impose any limits on your table names. You can
> merrily have lots of tables called siesta_*, wibble_*,
> whiteporcelainsink_*, etc.
>
> What am I missing?

I'm talking about a way to _apply_ a prefix to application code written
without having to hard-code a prefix on every reference to a table. I.e.
  refer to the tables/objects by their unprefixedd names (e.g. "person",
"company") X times but set TABLE_PREFIX = 'appname_' in one place. This
allow the prefix to be changed, so that multiple applications (and even
multiple instances of the same app) can co-exist in the same namespace.

Perrin Harkins wrote:

> It's better, and more common in my experience, to use different
> schemas or tablespaces or whatever your database happens to call
> them. You can usually set one as part of your connection routine.
> That's how I do it in Postgres.

I know exactly what you're referring to, and I agree in theory, but many
(e.g. hosted) environments don't support multiple databases, schemas or
tablespaces, and so multiple apps _must_ be able to coexist in a single
namespace.

Does this help clear things up?

-- Bowen

(message missing)

prefixing table names?
bowen 15:20 on 15 Oct 2004

Re: prefixing table names?
jason 15:36 on 15 Oct 2004

Re: prefixing table names?
Tony Bowden 18:45 on 15 Oct 2004

SQL Generation ( was Re: prefixing table names?)
jason scott gessner 00:08 on 19 Oct 2004

Re: SQL Generation ( was Re: prefixing table names?)
merlyn (Randal L. Schwartz) 09:46 on 19 Oct 2004

Re: SQL Generation ( was Re: prefixing table names?)
merlyn (Randal L. Schwartz) 10:00 on 19 Oct 2004

Re: prefixing table names?
Tony Bowden 15:36 on 15 Oct 2004

Re: prefixing table names?
Bowen Dwelle 22:05 on 15 Oct 2004