SQL Generation ( was Re: prefixing table names?)

From: jason scott gessner
Subject: SQL Generation ( was Re: prefixing table names?)
Date: 00:08 on 19 Oct 2004
Hi All.

I connected the prefixing table names thread with my own thoughts about
C::DBI but apparently left some crucial details out on the way from my
brain to Evolution.  My apologies.  :)

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 19:45 +0100, Tony Bowden wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 10:36:02AM -0500, jason@xxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:
> > Tony, this becomes a question for you, then.  What do you think it would
> > take to componentize the SQL generation?  Are you (is anyone) interested
> > in this at all?
>
> I'm still not sure I understand this question ...
>
> Tony

What i am specifically interested in seeing for C::DBI is something
along the lines of a less monolithic structure for the generation of the
SQL statements.  This would be useful for databases that have custom SQL
features that would be otherwise hard to use from C::DBI.  If there was
a short method chain in C::DBI that would generate the SQL, then it
would be easier to override only the part that you would like.  For
example, my C::DBI::Mysql patch added a limit clause to the
search_params object:
	my @rows = $class->search( category => 5, { order_by => "name", limit
=> "10, 20" };

This was a pain to do because i had to override the entire SQL
generation function from C::DBI to add 4 lines of code that doesn't
belong in the core.  It belongs only in the MySQL module.

Tony and the group, do you have any interest in opening up the sql
generation a bit?

Did this explanation help illuminate my previous comment/question?

        --
        jason scott gessner <jason@xxxxxxxx.xxx>

(message missing)

prefixing table names?
bowen 15:20 on 15 Oct 2004

Re: prefixing table names?
jason 15:36 on 15 Oct 2004

Re: prefixing table names?
Tony Bowden 18:45 on 15 Oct 2004

SQL Generation ( was Re: prefixing table names?)
jason scott gessner 00:08 on 19 Oct 2004

Re: SQL Generation ( was Re: prefixing table names?)
merlyn (Randal L. Schwartz) 09:46 on 19 Oct 2004

Re: SQL Generation ( was Re: prefixing table names?)
merlyn (Randal L. Schwartz) 10:00 on 19 Oct 2004

Re: prefixing table names?
Tony Bowden 15:36 on 15 Oct 2004

Re: prefixing table names?
Bowen Dwelle 22:05 on 15 Oct 2004