Re: Database character sets

From: Drew Wilson
Subject: Re: Database character sets
Date: 18:23 on 22 Feb 2005
Hmmm... we've been using working with UTF-8 data for the past 3 months
using Class::DBI & Postgresql. Before that, we've had Unicode data in
Postgres for 2 years using Java technologies (WebObjects).

We haven't seen any issues, and I can't seem to remember anything
special we did to get this to work with Postgresql other than create
the database using the Unicode encoding.

I don't know if this helps you or not (I don't know whether you can
switch from MySQL), but it would seem to indicate that it is possible.
Unless there are other issues that we haven't discovered yet (also
entirely possible.)

Drew

On Feb 22, 2005, at 10:05 AM, Tom Insam wrote:

>>> Is this a solved problem yet? I'm hoping that it _must_ be, but I
>>> can't
>>> find anything in the archives of this list or the wiki about it.
>>
>> It sounds like you should be checking the dbi-users archives instead.
>> This doesn't sound like it has much to do with Class::DBI.
>
> Yah, except that as far as I can tell, DBI doesn't do the right thing
> with utf-8 either, and in the places I can find discussion, they all
> just punt to the DBD::* drivers, which is unhelpful from my point of
> view - I'd like to just put utf-8 strings into objects and have them
> stored.
>
> Suppose that I wished to hook Class::DBI just above the database so
> that I can run encode/decode immediately after I get results from the
> database, and immediately before inserting. The perldoc page doesn't
> suggest a good place I can stick code - any pointers?
>
> tom

Database character sets
Tom Insam 15:18 on 22 Feb 2005

Re: Database character sets
Perrin Harkins 17:38 on 22 Feb 2005

Re: Database character sets
Tom Insam 18:05 on 22 Feb 2005

Re: Database character sets
Drew Wilson 18:23 on 22 Feb 2005

Re: Database character sets
Tom Insam 19:09 on 22 Feb 2005

Re: Database character sets
Dan Sully 18:04 on 22 Feb 2005

Re: Database character sets
Tom Insam 19:11 on 22 Feb 2005

Re: Database character sets
Dan Sully 19:15 on 22 Feb 2005

Generated at 00:32 on 04 Mar 2005 by mariachi v0.52